A History Of Oak Grove Baptist Church

Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church was organized December 1, 1946.

Bro. C. N. Glover preached the organizational message at Oak Grove Missionary Baptist Church. Earl McAlister prayed the organizational prayer. W. D. Montgomery led the singing and Lois Scott played the piano. The new church was sponsored by Sharon Missionary Baptist Church.

The charter members were

  • Mrs. Leddie Pelton
  • Mrs. Mary Thomas
  • Mary Nell Thomas
  • Mrs. Talmadge Welch
  • Mr. and Mrs. William Salley
  • Goldie Moore
  • Virginia Salley
  • Leita Mae Welch
  • Earnest Lee Pelton
  • Evelyn Salley

The first deacons were Garland Pelton (1947), Troy Keathley (1947), Jimmy Keathley (1947), Clifton Lovell, James Peeler (1952), and Fred Thomas (1952).

Land for the Church was donated by Mr. W. H. Thomas. Bros. W. D. Montgomery was the first pastor. Other pastors were

  • Amon Langston (1949)
  • J. Coyle Kelley (1951, 1956)
  • W. H. Banks (1953)
  • Robert Smith (1956)
  • C. M. Lewallen (1958)
  • Cecil Bates (1961)
  • Ewell Bowen (1963)
  • J. P. Johnson (1964)
  • Herbert Kitchens (1972)
  • George Stricken (1975)
  • James Mullins (1979)
  • James Parnell (1986)
  • Mike Prince (1994).

One of the original charter members, Mary Nell (Thomas) Peler is still an active member.

The church started a Sunday School and B.T.C at the time the church was organized. A Ladies Auxiliary began meeting in 1951.

The first parsonage was purchased in 1952. Members of the Church pledged $1.00 a month in order to make the payments. Bro. Coyle Kelley moved in as the first full-time pastor of the Church.

Several members mortgaged their homes to finance construction of the present sanctuary in 1960. The first service was held in the new building March 20, 1960. The present educational building was completed in 1970. The church plant and parsonage are debt-free.